Disability Rights New Jersey
New Jersey’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency under federal law. We advance the human, civil, and legal rights of people with disabilities and promote their self-determination, independence, productivity, and integration into all facets of community life.Support Our Work Watch Our Work In Action
Disability Rights NJ wields the power of the law to help improve the lives of people with disabilities, with the goal of creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive society.
We fight for freedom from abuse, neglect, and discrimination wherever people with disabilities live, work, study, and play. Our work is rooted in a shared belief in the inherent value of all people and their right to self-determination, choice, and full participation in society.Learn More About Us
How We Help
Consistent with our federal mandate, Disability Rights NJ is here to provide a wide array of advocacy services for people with disabilities, their families, and other stakeholders:
- We investigate allegations of abuse and neglect to ensure that people with disabilities are safe wherever they receive services.
- We provide legal representation to people with disabilities who have legal issues that fall within our priority areas.
- We monitor settings where people with disabilities receive services, including developmental centers, state psychiatric hospitals, group homes, and nursing facilities.
- We provide information and referral to people with disabilities and their families in areas outside our priorities, as well as technical assistance to other stakeholders.
- We engage in outreach, education and training, with an emphasis on building the expertise and skills of self-advocates.
Impacted through our systemic litigation
Outreach and training events conducted
Individuals impacted through outreach
of New Jerseyeans with disabilities
A collection of tools and useful resources to help you stay informed of your rights and assist you in advocating for yourself or someone else with a disability. We are committed to providing you with information that empowers your advocacy. The information provided is not a substitute for individualized, fact-specific legal advice.
Self-Advocacy Resource Center
Materials and publications in this section are organized by areas of interest using the expertise of our staff at Disability Rights NJ and is intended to empower your self-advocacy efforts.Learn More
Information and Referrals
Resources gathered to equip people with disabilities, their family or friends with general information to address matters which anyone may face, whether or not there is a disability present.Learn More
Covid-19 Advocacy and Resources
Disability Rights NJ has been working tirelessly to advocate for New Jerseyans with disabilities throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Link to our DRNJ-COVID.org site where you’ll find a timeline of information and valuable resources pertaining to critical issues faced by New Jerseyans with disabilities and our work to address them.Learn More
The Advocate Oak Blog
Did you know that November is National Assistive Technology (AT) Awareness Month?Read More
Unmasking the CARES Act: Fast Facts about COVID-19 Unemployment and Social Security BenefitsRead More
The Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Act of 1996: Why it still matters.Read More
When Can I Get Out of Here? The Olmstead Decision 22 Years OnRead More