Summer 2024 Internship Opportunities
Check out our Spring/Summer Internship Opportunities now open for applications…
Visit our CAREERS page today!
Deadline to apply is March 1, 2024.
Disability Rights New Jersey
New Jersey’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency under federal law. We advance the human, civil, and legal rights of people with disabilities and promote their self-determination, independence, productivity, and integration into all facets of community life.Support Our Work Watch Our Work In Action View Our 2024-2026 Goals and Objectives
Disability Rights NJ wields the power of the law to help improve the lives of people with disabilities, with the goal of creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive society.
We fight for freedom from abuse, neglect, and discrimination wherever people with disabilities live, work, study, and play. Our work is rooted in a shared belief in the inherent value of all people and their right to self-determination, choice, and full participation in society.Learn More About Us
How We Help
Consistent with our federal mandate, Disability Rights NJ is here to provide a wide array of advocacy services for people with disabilities, their families, and other stakeholders:
- We investigate allegations of abuse and neglect to ensure that people with disabilities are safe wherever they receive services.
- We provide legal representation to people with disabilities who have legal issues that fall within our goals and objectives.
- We monitor settings where people with disabilities receive services, including developmental centers, state psychiatric hospitals, group homes, and nursing facilities.
- We provide information and referral to people with disabilities and their families in areas outside our priorities, as well as technical assistance to other stakeholders.
- We engage in outreach, education, and training, with an emphasis on building the expertise and skills of self-advocates.
Impacted through our systemic litigation
Outreach and training events conducted
Individuals impacted through outreach
of New Jerseyeans with disabilities
A collection of tools and useful resources to help you stay informed of your rights and assist you in advocating for yourself or someone else with a disability. We are committed to providing you with information that empowers your advocacy. The information provided is not a substitute for individualized, fact-specific legal advice.
Self-Advocacy Resource Center
Materials and publications in this section are organized by areas of interest using the expertise of our staff at Disability Rights NJ and is intended to empower your self-advocacy efforts.Learn More
Information and Referrals
Resources gathered to equip people with disabilities, their family or friends with general information to address matters which anyone may face, whether or not there is a disability present.Learn More
Transition Readiness for Adult and Independent Living or "TRAILblazer" is our program to assist students aged 14-22 prepare for life after high school. We help youth understand and advocate for transition planning and services provided by the school and other state agencies like the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVRS). It can include things like vocational training, structured learning experiences, and life skills training.Learn More